Having the wrong mattress to sleep in can bring about huge problems for you. First of all, it is truly uncomfortable. Because of this, it will be harder for you to achieve good quality of sleep, which, in turn, will affect your whole day. Also, it can even worsen health conditions such as chronic back pain.
Why is a correct mattress important?
If your mattress is ergonomic, or designed efficiently for comfort, then it will be easier for you to have good posture. Also, it relaxes your muscles and as a result, it will be easier for you to fall asleep.
One thing you need to remember is that there is not one mattress that is perfect for everyone. Since each person is unique, the needs are also different. Because of this, when choosing one, you should take into consideration not only the reviews that you hear, but also your very own comfort when sleeping on it. This is why it is crucial to test it before making that purchase.
Does your mattress affect your pain experience?
Definitely! Just like what we have mentioned earlier, it can improve or worsen conditions such as chronic back pain. In fact, in one study conducted at Harvard Medical School, the participants suffering back pain who changed their mattress and used medium firm instead reported improvements. This is one of the reasons why firmness does not equate to comfort. Just like what the saying goes, too much of anything is not ideal. So, in mattresses, too firm or too soft are not recommended.
What factors should I consider when buying a best mattress for back pain?
· Keep in mind that your usual position when you sleep should be a determining factor in your mattress of choice. For example, a mattress with medium firmness is ideal for those who sleep on their stomach or their side.
· If you are a combination of both and you move a lot, then you should consider trying a memory foam mattress because it has the perfect balance of firmness and softness. In addition to this, it also has high motion isolation, which basically means that you will not disturb the person you are sleeping with.
· Memory foam is also ideal for those with chronic back pain. The good thing about it is that it comes in a variety of densities, so there will be a lot to choose from. This type is ideal because it follows the natural curves of the body, enabling it to be supported well. If your spine and back are not supported, then you can expect to develop back pain. In general, memory foam provides enough lumbar support.
· Comfort, though subjective, is a very important parameter when choosing a good mattress for back pain. Choose something that is highly comfortable. This is crucial for good sleep. Good news is that there are some companies that allow you to test the mattress first. You will be given a specific number of days to try it out before purchasing it. Don’t be afraid to ask about this policy.
· A good mattress for back pain also has the ability to relieve pressure points. This just means that they will not be putting additional strain on your bony areas and joints. Also, it should be able to distribute your weight.
Back pain can, without a doubt, affect your life in general. If you are always in pain, it will be difficult to go about your day. Just remember that if everything else fails and your mattress does not help in lessening the pain that you are feeling, then it is important to consult your doctor